Thursday, 16 May 2013

2013 - The Year of Healthy Hair - Shampoos & Conditioners




My hair has been the bane of my life for a long time now. Trying to manage my frizzy, thick, course, dry hair has never been easy and it's fair to say that any photos of me through the 'dark years' should be burned. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that the existence of straighteners saved my life and G.H.D's will always have a beloved place in my heart (Too dramatic? I don't think so).

But apparently using heat on your hair every day for around 8 years can be really damaging...who knew? My hair had got in such bad condition I was having to have it cut every 6 weeks *£££*, it had become the 'hair that doesn't grow past a certain length' and was incredibly dry. I had enough of my high maintenance mane and declared 2013 the year of healthy hair! The aim was to use far less heat on my hair, be able to get it cut less often, grow it longer and generally become a low maintenance girl, although that one may be an impossible task. 
Have I achieved this? Yep, I think I have. There's still some improvement that needs to be made but my hair is definitely thanking me this year.

So in light of this I thought I would share with you a few products that have been keeping my locks as luscious as possible in the last few months. I'll split it into a few posts as I've got a lot of the good stuff helping my tresses out and we all know what happens when I start talking...







So, lets start at the beginning with my choice ('s) of shampoo and conditioner. When it comes to this stuff I always pick products for dry hair as that's definitely become my biggest issue. Shampoos that aim to moisturise my locks make the biggest impact and I find ones that claim to help damaged hair tend to dry it out even more. 

I have had a bottle of James Brown - Photo Fabulous Moisturising shampoo hanging around in my shower for well over a year and a half now after first receiving it in a gift set along with the matching conditioner and treatment..which I was not a fan of. Before this I was using a L'oreal number (again, aimed at damaged hair) which I didn't realise how dry it was making my hair until I switched to this. It cleans my hair fully of product but doesn't leave it feeling stripped and adds the moisture my locks crave. Exactly what I look for in a shampoo! At £6.99 it's pretty affordable and tends to be on a 3 for a tenner deal in Boots which I always grab with both hands. 

Then I introduce you to a range I absolutely love. The Nourishing Oil Care range from Dove can do no wrong in my eyes and with all products priced well under a fiver I really can't fault it. The shampoo cleans, hydrates, and smooths and is a product that I would repurchase again and again as a fail safe budget shampoo should always be in the bathroom. But the real stand out product under this line is the Express Treatment conditioner. The making of this formula is dual action, a white stripe which is the conditioner to smooth and hydrate and a gold stripe which is where the nutri-oil treatment comes in to nourish and replenish the hair of nutrients. At a grand total of £3.39 this is by far the best conditioner I've ever used! It makes my mane so soft, moisturised and me and my hair would never be without this. With my hair being so course it can handle the high levels of conditioner I throw at it without being weighed down so if you have quite fine hair it might be better to opt for the standard conditioner from the same family. 

I'm sure many of you have heard about or tried for yourself a few products from Macadamia.  There's been a bit of a buzz about them on the blogosphere and so I had to pick up a set from buyapower for a good deal. This featured the Rejuvenating shampoo and the Moisturising Rinse. The conditioner, or rinse as they like to call it, is lovely. It doesn't feel as thick or nourishing as top contender Dove, but it will hydrate and fine haired ladies do not need to be afraid of this one. There's no worry it'll weigh your hair down but when used in conjunction with its shampoo sister will leave you swishing your soft locks around like your trying to flog the stuff! The shampoo stands up to the best. None other leaves such a soft, silky feeling and seen as I only have a small bottle of the stuff I like to save this for when I want to treat myself to a advert worthy moment. 
*Note: Cheap Smells sells the miniature bottles so you can try for a small price before you buy*

Last but not least in my shower routine is Charles Worthington - Hair Healer Leave In conditioner. I finish every wash with this main man to ensure a silky, glossy, good hair day. Only a little is needed swiped all over mid lengths and ends and you will never look back. 






A mix and match of these goods leaves me able to manage my mane instead of reaching for the G.H.D's. Of course my haircare doesn't end there by no means and a couple of these brands may crop up again in the near future so keep the notepad at the ready! 





Do you have any moisturising hairy products to recommend? 





16 comments:

  1. 2013 is the year of healthy hair for me too! :) Every time I'm just sat at home and not going anywhere, I slap loads of argan oil in and put my hair in two plaits like a crazy woman lol. I also don't use heat on my hair now unless I'm literally having to run out of the door and dont have time to do anything else, but it's easy for me I suppose as my hair is really fine and straight. I love the Dove shampoo and conditioner, they're better than some expensive brands I've tried x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, we all want hair to be proud of haha :) Masks have done the best things for mine, will definitely have a post coming up about my favourites! Yep, you don't always have to go for the pricey stuff x

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a bit of dove, they see,ed to have really stepped up their game! The nourishing care oil range is fab x

    Amy / srslylou

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I love them! So good for my hair and at less than £5 you can't go wrong! x

      Delete
  4. *seem, excuse my naf typing! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'v wanted to try the macadamia hair range for a while, I think I will defiantly have to make a purchase.
    Sammie
    Little Blonde Life
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do love the Dove shampoo I have very fine hair so have to be careful not to weigh it down to much and some shampoo and conditioners leave it to fluffy!!!

    PS I found your blog via the Bloggers Bunch Blog hop xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeh I know what you mean. My hair used to be much frizzier and it would go so fluffy and harder to manage! I will have perfect hair one day! Haha.

      Ah thank you for following :) Will have a look at yours now x

      Delete
  7. I've never seen this Macadamia brand. The bottles are so cute! I'm a sucker for cute packaging...I may have to give these a shot. Thanks for the review!
    I found your blog through the #bbunch bloghop, I’m excited to start following you :) My Blog: A Beautiful Twenty-Something Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep definitely worth looking on cheapsmells for the small bottles! Got my eye on their oil!
      Aw thank you :) Will have a look at yours now x

      Delete
  8. I'm still yet to try anything from macadamia, I've heard great things about it though! Thank you for sending me your link, I'm at islaay.com

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello hello, thanks for sharing !
    I do want to try the Macadamia products since I read so much about it :)
    I have just started my natural beauty products blog http://cleanserblog.blogspot.co.uk/
    Let me know what you think!

    Ila x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to try the Macadamia products they sound lovely!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anything Redken is a great shout! Following you now www.livelifeluscious.blogspot.co.uk xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do have frizzy, course, dry and life less hair and I agree! It has never been easy to manage. I might try the Nourishing Oil Care range from Dove. I heard lots of good reviews about the product. I hope I can find Macademia products somewhere here in the Philippines. Hihi. :D Thank you for your nice review! :)

    ReplyDelete